Friday, November 25, 2011

Getting Fit on a 20something Budget

Photo Credit: That's Fit, 15 Home Workout Tools for Every Budget
If anyone knows about living under the constraints of a budget, it's me. With the price of food and gas going up and down, we sometimes have to make cuts and sometimes--a gym membership has to be considered a "luxury" aka something that isn't necessary to live paycheck to paycheck. But just because you can't afford a gym membership, doesn't mean that you can't work out. There are many inexpensive or free resources that can fit almost any budget! Here are a few options that I've either used myself or I've come across as I build my "apartment friendly" mini-gym (i.e., workout options that I can do in my living room without disturbing my neighbors below me):

  • YouTube:  Can't afford the Michael Jackson Wii video game? Or the Wii for that matter? Try searching for Micheal Jackson on YouTube. You'll find free instructional videos breaking down his famous moves. Once you get the swing of things, you can do your own thing to one of his hit songs. You'll be having so much fun, you won't even know you're working out.
  • Wii:  If you already have a Wii --I highly recommend the Zumba Fitness game or the latest Black Eyed Peas game. It may take a while to get used to some of the moves, but once you do--you're going and going, burning tons of calories.
  • Workout DVD's: I currently use the Pussycat Doll's workout video when I want to have fun, Jillian Michaels Yoga Meltdown DVD when I want to workout without sweating, and Bellydancing video to help shrink my belly down. And as a BodyPump instructor, I have to mention the new BodyPump DVD's that will soon be available, courtesy of BeachBody. While it's important to ensure you have proper form and technique, sometimes we have to do without the group fitness instructor giving us personalized attention and feedback.
  • ExcerciseTV:  If you have cable, the internet, or a smarphone, you can have ExerciseTV! ExerciseTV offers over 150 free workouts on demand and over 100 free full length workouts online.
  • Your Neighborhood: Run, walk, jog--whatever works for you! Don't let the cold weather keep you from getting the best all around fat burner into your workout schedule. Just put on an extra layer of clothing and once you start moving, you won't even remember that it's cold. Try MapMyRun to track how far you go or join the WOMAN Challenge for motivation to get active every day.
You can also go to your local Target and Walmart, where you can find lots of inexpensive fitness gear, like resistance bands that you can use while watching your favorite TV show. Once you figure out what type of workout you like and what you're likely to stick with--you can find something that fits your budget. It just takes a bit of searching and planning!

Bottom line: Don't let your budget keep you from getting the benefits of physical activity. Getting a daily workout in your 20s can help prevent many health issues that may come up as we get older.

No comments:

Post a Comment