Sunday, December 4, 2011

Staying Healthy in a Bad Job Environment


Anne Hatheway in a Devil Wears Prada

I recently read an article providing advice on what to do when you loathe your job. I instantly thought of my many 20something (and beyond) friends who currently in the "I wish I had a better job, but I don't want to seem ungrateful because I know it could be worse" boat. Many 20somethings are still looking for a job or in a job that makes it hard to get out of bed every day.  It's hard to find a job because we don't have "enough expierence" or we're doing a lot of the grunt work because we're at the bottom of the barrel. Both situations can cause a lot of stress in your life which can lead to unhealthy habits/behaviors. One part of the article I read gave great advice about keeping yourself healthy in your body and in you're mind. This is something that we can control despite whatever situation we are in. Here are a few tips that might work for you.

Staying healthy while looking for a job
  • Use your extra time during the day to work out. This is a great time to explore new fitness classes and/or work outs (hiking, perhaps). You'll reap the benefits of physical activity including mental alertness, confidence, and a positive attitude.
  • Enjoy the luxury of getting a full 8 hours of sleep. You never know when you might have to pull late nights or super early morning, so now is the time to reap the full benefits of a good night's rest.
  • Find healthy recipes that you haven't had time to try out before. Not only will you save money by cooking at home, but you'll also save calories.
  • Don't turn to alcohol and poor food choices to fill the void you might be feeling. Of course there are many health factors in mind--but you don't want to feel like crap or not be able to fit into your suit in the event you're called into a sudden interview for your dream job.
Staying healthy while in a job you don't like
  • It's easy to lose the motivation and energy to workout after a draining day in the office. I highly suggest getting your work out before you get ready for the work day. That way, you're getting a nice dose of endorphins and you won't have to worry about losing your motivation on your way home.
  • Take your vitamins! Lately, I've been a huge fan of vitamins. Since I've been taking them on a daily basis, I have more energy, I'm more focused, and I'm more calm. All of these things help reduce the possibility of stress.
  • Don't let your local McDonald's or Subway be your daily kitchen. Just as you can lose motivation to work out, a long day at the office can take away your energy to cook a well-balanced meal. If you really don't have time to cook, try to make healthy options. Grilled, not crispy. A 6-inch instead of a foot long.
  • Create inner peace through meditation or therapy. Almost every Sunday, I take a BodyFlow class in the morning. I love it because it allows me to stretch out all my tired muscles and then we end with a 15 minute meditation session. By the end of class, I feel all my anxious nerves melt away and I'm not as frazzled about the upcoming work week. I'm also a huge supporter of seeing a therapist. If you're really struggling with your job and can't find a new one as soon as you'd like, talking to someone who can listen and provide constructive advice is a great idea.
Bottom Line:  Don't let any job situation--postive, negative, or in between--mess with your health. Keep yourself a priority, which means keeping up with all of your doctor appointments, work outs, and healthy diet.

No comments:

Post a Comment