Monday, December 26, 2011

My NY2012 HealthyFab Action Plan!

I'm super excited to start the New Year! The new year is the perfect opportunity for a fresh start and a chance to hit the reset button on some of the goals you weren't able to meet in the prior year. In 2012, I'm aiming for achievable and actionable goals with a roadmap to guide me. By sharing it here, my hope is that you'll be motivated to set your own realistic goals as well.


Above you'll see my road map to reach the ultimate New Year resolution-->losing weight. You'll see that I put an achievable and actionable number to my ultimate mission. And to reach this ultimate goal, I've outlined the steps I can do to make it happen. Here's the breakdown of each, including the reason/purpose:

Train and complete the Warrior Dash in May: When I first heard that this was an obstacle course that involved "fire jumping", I said absolutely not! But I was super intrigued by feeling of accomplishment I would achieve if I finished it. To say that I leaped over fire, climbed a wall of rope, and crawled through mud would be amazing! Imagine the stories I could share during happy hours? It's also a chance to bond with new friends who have an interest in being physically fit as well. And I figure that training for the marathon could only help me get slimmer in the process, so it was a win-win all around. Since I'm doing it with a bunch of friends and I'll have to pay to do this, I'll be less likely to quit.

Become a strong BodyAttack instructor: Once upon a time, I was trained to teach BodyAttack. It's one of the hardest aerobic classes I've ever taken in my life. I soon took a timeout from teaching this class because it was so hard to keep up with physically. I think I'm the only BodyAttack instructor in the history of group fitness to gain weight after becoming trained. Well, now that I've gained all my 68 lbs back (previously lost via WeightWatchers), I needed that motivation to get back on track. What better way than to put myself in front of 20+ people every week, pushing them to their max? I want to be that role model who can motivate someone emotionally and physically and in order to do that; I need to get my body in check. Having people count on me will definitely keep me disciplined in the long-run.

Increase my water intake: I know there are a lot of studies out there that say you don't need to drink a lot of water to lose weight, but my body says differently. Perhaps by drinking more water I'm less likely to drink calorie/sugar induced drinks like wine and diet soda, thus making my weight loss even more successful. Drinking a lot of water also makes my skin healthier and my energy higher. I have a huge jug that I carry around with me and that seems to do the trick. And with the two action steps mentioned above, I'll surely be able to stick to this goal in the long-run as well.

Cook well-balanced meals: I'm a frequent visitor of the frozen food aisle and the fastfood driveway. Even if I think I'm making healthy choices, I'm eating foods with a lot of sodium and I'm less likely to have a well-balanced meal that includes fruits and veggies. When I cook at home, I'm more likely to add important food groups to my plate because I have more control of what I eat. Over the past month, I've taken the time to look closely in the grocery store to find "wholesome" foods with the easy cooking ability. I also invested in a George Foreman Grill which has really increased my protein intake (95% lean white Turkey Burgers are the best!). I figure now that I'm almost hitting 30, I should know how to cook a few things besides scrambled eggs. Plus, it saves me money and I'm all about that!

Instead of being so general and drastic as "going to the gym every day for 3 hours and eating only carrot sticks," I've included steps that I already have planned in the coming months (i.e., Warrior Dash, BodyAttack) and things that I can form into lifelong habits (i.e., water, cooking). After reading many articles about New Year’s resolutions, I've learned that many people quit within the first month because they try to do something that isn't their norm or something that they can stick with for the long haul. For example, in 2011 I made the goal of working out in the morning before work at least 3 times a week. Week after week, month after month, I would try for a few days and then slowly give in to the tempting bed that pulled me away from the gym. I've finally learned that as much as I'd like to be, I'm not an early AM workout person. When I planned workouts that were after work or at a more decent time in the day, I was more likely to stick with it.


Bottom Line: Hopefully my show-and-tell will encourage you to create your NY2012 HealthyFab Action Plan. Maybe you want to lose weight, become a runner/jogger, or become less-stressed. Whatever it is, make sure it's something you can incorporate into your everyday life.

No comments:

Post a Comment